Sedlescombe stretches for nearly a mile downhill, on a main route to Hastings. At the higher part, is the Church of St. John the Baptist. Although restored in 1866, it retains its 15th century tower and old roof timbers.
The main part of the village, known as Sedlescombe Street, is at the lower end, where it broadens into the long triangular green. Here stands a village pump and pump house under a gable roof, dating from 1900. On either side of the green, are brick and tile-hung cottages, shops and inns. The Queen's Head Inn, although much restored, dates from the 15th century. There is a distinctive thatched cottage which is the only one in the village and bears the date '1509'.
Just outside the village, is a large mansion, which now houses the Pestalozzi Children's Village. It was opened in 1959, by the Pestalozzi Trust, which carries on the work of the Swiss educational reformer who died in 1827. Here, deprived and refugee children from various countries, are educated in the British way of life and also their own traditions and languages.
Size: 9 items