Frampton on Severn
Frampton on Severn is a spacious village of twelve hundred residents, situated ten miles from Gloucester, on the eastern side of the River Severn Estuary. It is unusual, as it is set out either side of the village green, which extends to twenty-two acres, probably the largest in England. Most of the houses, which are Georgian or half-timbered cottages, can honestly say that they overlook the green, which contains three ponds and a cricket pitch.
The Bell Inn is conveniently situated for cricket matches, as the garden is almost on the boundary. The green is named, Rosamund's Green, after Jane Clifford, King Henry II's mistress, known as, 'Fair Rosamund', who was allegedly poisoned by Queen Eleanor in 1177. The Clifford family, current owners of the Frampton Court Estate, are descendants of Jane Clifford.
The outstanding houses either side of the green, are Frampton Court, built in the 1730's and the timber-framed Manor House, which dates from the 16th century. The Wool Barn, recently restored, is open to the public. Close to the church is another barn, the magnificent Tithe Barn.
St. Mary's Church, dates from the 14th century and is close to the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal. On occasions, a seagoing vessel can be seen passing the church tower.
Photographs from this album may be purchased by clicking here
Size: 36 items