Brill is situated on a hill six hundred feet above the Vale of Aylesbury and commands magnificent views into Oxfordshire. On top of the hill, stands one of the oldest post-mills in England, dating from 1689. It is built of red brick and still has its machinery intact. Below the mill are grass mounds, which are relics of the clay quarrying that took place here. This local clay was used to produce the bricks to construct the cottages of Brill and also provided the material for Brill pottery.
The cottages and almshouses of this interesting village are set around two greens, where All Saints Church is situated. To this twelfth century parish church, has been added a low fifteenth century tower with a small spire. Brill's three inns, including the Red Lion, all date from the seventeenth century.
Tram Hill exhibits a link with the days when a tramway, built in 1872, ran from the bottom of the hill to the London main line at Quainton. Until 1935, trains ran directly from Brill to Baker Street in London.
Photos 1 - 30 of 30